THE ESSENCE OF DISCIPLESHIP
“…And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch…” (Acts 11:26)
From the text, we can deduct that followers of Christ were first disciples before they were even called Christians – a name popularly used today to refer to anyone that attends a Church – so before you could be recognized as a Christian, you must be an ardent disciple. So why must we become disciples and not just be satisfied with being born-again?
• It is a step into becoming sonship.
• It is the only way we are truly empowered to preach the Gospel.
• It is the only way for us to truly resemble and represent Christ in speech and lifestyle.
• In being disciples, we learn to spend quality time in prayer with Him, and not just to ask for things.
• Discipleship ensures us of heaven.
[Discuss more reasons for discipleship].
Matthew 9:37; 10:1-37; 12:47-49; Luke 12:22-31; 14:25-33; John 13:35; 15:7-8,16; Acts 11:26.
[*Use the “30 days of Total Victory” prayer book to pray – Day 10]